‘ Space for all? Preparing pupils for life in plural Britain ’
- Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali Former Bishop of Rochester; Chairman of Christian Coalition for Education and President of Oxford Centre for Training Research, Advocacy and Dialogue.
- John Denning (Christian Institute) Former school teacher and governor; Education Officer at The Christian Institute
- Ryan Christopher, Advisor to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Religious Education, and ADF International .
- Peter Mitchell (Evangelical Alliance)
- Ron Skelton: Headteacher at the Broadway Academy, Birmingham.
Aim of the conference:
There is an ongoing focus in education on Fundamental British Values and the increasingly propagated vision of education being to “prepare pupils for life in modern Britain.” This conference will explore the contribution Christian teachers, governors, schools, parents and others can provide for a deeper and more robust vision of common life in Britain, that upholds a plural education system that doesn’t leave Christian or other religious people as outsiders in an exclusively secular-defined “modern” Britain.
Programme for the day:
10.15 – Opening, welcome, practicality and prayers
10.30 – Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali – ‘Can there be space for all?’
11.05 – John Denning – ‘Christian Teaching and the Protected Characteristics’
11.40 – Q&A with Bishop Michael and John Denning
11.50-12.10 – Break
12.10 – Ron Skelton – ‘Issues and Practical Solutions for schools and school leaders’
12.45 – Ryan Christopher – ‘Political reflections on teaching in a plural society’
13.05-13.50 – Lunch break
14.25-14.30 – Break
14.30 – Seminars including Alun Ebenezer (Fulham Boys School), Peter Mitchell & John Coleby (both at the Evangelical Alliance), Guy Hordern (a member of the Birmingham SACRE) and others to be confirmed.
15.15 – Closing thoughts and testimonials
15.30 – Group/plenary prayers to finish
16.00 – Finish
Minibuses will run from Kingham train station in for those travelling by public transport.
For booking do follow the Eventbrite link. Lunch and refreshments are included in the price.
You can also email email@example.com for further details.